by Doug Mackar
The Delridge Community in West Seattle was once homesteaded by Portugese fishermen and dock workers in the early 1900’s. Over time, as people with more money moved up to the hilltop, the area became a settlement for blue collar and marginalized members of the community. The Delridge community, located just over the West Seattle bridge off of the Delridge exit, has been historically marginalized to the point that in 2010 the USDA certified the area as a “food desert”.
According to the American Nutrition Association, the USDA defines food deserts as “parts of the country vapid of fresh fruit, vegetable and other healthful whole foods, usually found in impoverished areas. This is largely due to lack of grocery stores, farmers, markets, and healthy food providers.”